Wow your friends and family with this Thai Curry Fish Head recipe! This spicy and sour curry will have you refilling your rice bowl again and again!
- Half portion fish head (garoupa or red snapper), approximately 700g, cleaned
- 1 brinjal, cut into wedges
- 3 bird´s eye chillies
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, lightly smashed
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 150ml coconut milk
- 100ml fresh chicken stock or water
- 20g tamarind paste mixed with 100ml water and strained for juice
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- Ground spice ingredients (A)
- 4 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1cm ginger
- 2 tbsp chilli paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ¼-½ tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice or to taste
- ¼ tsp chicken stock granules
- ¼ tsp anchovy stock granules
- Scald the fish head in a pot of boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes. Dish out and put aside. Heat oil in a wok and fry lemongrass and curry leaves for a minute. Add ground spice ingredients (A) and fry until fragrant and oil rises.
- Pour in fresh chicken stock or water. When it starts to boil add brinjal, bird´s eye chillies and tamarind juice then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves. Put in the fish head and add seasoning to taste. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Dish out and serve.