This recipe is best with
- 325g plain flour
- 160g butter, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
- 4-5 tbsp ice water
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 450g potatoes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 small can tuna flakes in brine, drained
- To prepare pastry: Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in salt and sugar. Rub in diced, cold butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the ice water and mix into a smooth pastry dough. Roll into a ball and chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling: Put potatoes in a pot of water. Bring to the boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and leave aside for a while. Peel the skin then cut into very small cubes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick saucepan. Add onion and fry until aromatic. Sprinkle in curry powder and continue to fry for a while. Add the remaining filling ingredients except the potatoes.
- Stir-fry briefly until well combined. Add potatoes then stir to mix. Dish out and set aside.
- Roll out pastry dough thinly and cut rounds to fit tart moulds. Line the base with the pastry round then spoon in a heaped tablespoon of filling.
- Cover the top with another piece of pastry round then press down the edge with a fork to seal up.
- Brush the pastry top or surface with glaze. Bake in a pre-heated oven (180°C) for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the pies while still hot.