- Sift plain flour and wholemeal flour into a mixing bowl. Return the husks to the bowl and stir in baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the corn oil with a fork, then add in enough lukewarm water to mix into a soft ball of dough.
- Knead until smooth and leave aside, covered, to rest for 2025 minutes.
- Shape the pieces of dough into balls, then, on a lightly floured tabletop, flatten the balls into 20cm diameter circles.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Stack up rolled-out dough or tortillas between sheets of waxed paper or non-stick parchment paper.
- Preheat an ungreased skillet or griddle over medium high heat, then remove the waxed paper from the tortilla. Place tortilla on the hot pan.
- Cook each tortilla for about 30 seconds or until the top surface bubbles or is puffy.
- Press down the tortilla with a wooden spatula until the underside has brown spots. Turn over and cook for about 30 seconds more or till the edges curl up slightly.
- Wrap the tortillas in a warm tea towel or in foil while making the remaining tortillas. Use the tortillas immediately or cool and store them in the refrigerator or freezer.
- To store tortillas, stack each cooled tortilla between two pieces of waxed paper then wrap in cling film. Put them in an airtight plastic container.
You may also like