THIS yummy Middle Eastern dish is loved by many and often used as a replacement for meat.
The falafel goes well with the tahini yoghurt dip, but you can always opt to stuff them into pita bread to make a wrap.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 4cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp palm oil
- 2cans chickpeas, 400g each, drained, blended to a paste
- 60g rice flour mixed with 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- palm oil, for deep-frying
- Tahini yoghurt dip
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 200g tahini paste
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 2tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1/4tsp salt
- Sauté garlic and onion in hot oil till translucent. Pour into a large bowl and add the remaining falafel ingredients, then mix to form a smooth dough.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into balls. Deep-fry the balls in palm oil till crisp and brown, then drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix all yoghurt dip ingredients. Serve with hot falafel.