This recipe is best with
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 package (8-serving size) lime gelatin
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- ¼ cup of sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup of carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Cool whip or whipped cream
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Whole lettuce leaves, for decoration
- In a large bowl, stir boiling water into gelatin; stir continuously for at least two minutes, until completely dissolved. Then, stir in the pineapple and the accompanying pineapple juice.
- Refrigerate for 90 minutes, or until mixture reaches the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Mix the cottage cheese and cream cheese in a separate bowl until well-blended. Whip the cream, then fold into the cottage cheese and cream cheese mixture until smooth. Beat this mixture into the slightly-thickened gelatin mixture with a wire whisk, until well-blended.
- Stir corn kernels, shredded carrots, nuts and marshmallows into the mixture.
- Pour into a six-cup mould sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Refrigerate for four hours, or until form. Unmould onto a serving dish and surround with whole lettuce leaves. Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with any leftover nuts and marshmallows. The salad should be stored in the refrigerator.