- 1 tbsp margarine at room temperature
- 2 cups santan
- 200 g rice flour sifted
- 50 g chick pea flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp ajowan seeds (omam)
- 1/2 tsp cummin (jintan putih)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Combine (A) well in a mixing bowl. Add margarine. Heat santan to almost a boil. Turn off the heat immediately and pour into (A). Stir well with a wooden spatula to half cook the mixture. Knead well into a dough.
- Heat oil in a wok. Place the dough mixture in a murukku mould. Pipe out dough onto a banana leaf or sheet of newspaper.
- Slide the piped dough into heated oil and fry over medium heat until golden brown. Dish out and drain on absorbent paper. Leave the murukku to cool, then store in an airtight container.