Dec 21 marks the date for the Winter Solstice Festival, also known as the Dongzhi festival.
Tangyuans (glutinous rice balls) are traditionally made on this day to symbolise “togetherness”. It is served as a dessert that can be made with assorted flavours.
So, here is the recipe for pink and green dumplings in egg white syrup.
- For the dough:
- 220g glutinous rice flour
- 25g tapioca flour
- 200ml water, or just enough
- 1tsp beetroot juice
- 1tsp thick pandan juice
- For the syrup::
- 1litre water
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 egg whites
- Combine the flours in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add enough water to knead into a soft and smooth dough. Divide the dough into two portions.
- To one, add the beetroot juice and knead to get a smooth, pink dough. To the other, add the pandan juice and knead to get a smooth, green dough.
- Shape doughs into small balls.
- Bring half a pot of water to boil and cook dumplings until they float.
- Remove the dumplings with a slotted ladle and soak them in ice-cold water to stop the cooking.
- Bring water and sugar to boil. Turn off heat and stir in the egg white.
- Serve the dumplings in individual bowls with the egg white syrup.