Tang yuan is often associated with the winter solstice, but it is also eaten during other Chinese celebrations such as weddings, birthdays and Chinese new year. What many people are not aware of is that it is also part of the celebration of the mid-autumn festival, albeit with a slight variation with the addition of osmanthus wine.
The recipe is first published on TheStar. Read the full article on www.thestar.com.my.
This recipe is best with
- 500g glutinous rice flour
- 2 cups cold water
- 8 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 8 tbsp light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 salted egg yolks, diced
- 2 litres cold water
- 125g rock sugar
- A knob of ginger, optional
- Osmanthus Tincture:
- 1 cup rice wine
- 2 tbsp dried osmanthus flowers
- To make Osmanthus Tincture: Soak dried osmanthus flowers in rice wine and allow to steep in a cool, dark place for at least 1 week, or up to 3 months.
- To make Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make Dough: Fill a mixing bowl with glutinous rice flour and make a well in the middle. Add water and knead into a smooth dough. The dough should be moist but not sticky. Cover mixing bowl with a wet tea towel to keep the dough from drying out.
- Shape dough into little balls of about two centimetres in diameter. Press a finger into the middle of the ball to create a little cup shape and fill it with half a teaspoon of the filling. Add a dice of salted egg and try to embed it into the filling. Seal the dough and roll into a ball with the palm of your hands. Repeat until all ingredients are finished.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then drop the little rice balls in one by one. Stir the water regularly to make sure the rice balls don’t sink and stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When the rice balls are cooked, they will float to the top of the water. Once the balls are cooked, remove immediately and plunge into cold water.
- In a separate pot, boil water and rock sugar into a syrup.
- In a rice bowl or a serving bowl, put in a few rice balls and ladle over just enough hot syrup. Add a tablespoon of osmanthus tincture and serve hot.