Athirasam is similar in shape to vadai but it is a type of Indian sweet. This recipe is courtesy of Venusitas and was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 1kg jaggery, vellam sugar
- 310litre water
- 1.3kg rice flour (Venusitas uses freshly ground rice)
- Oil for deep-frying
- Over medium heat, boil sugar and water in a pot until sugar dissolves completely. Add the flour and cook for 30 minutes, stirring well.
- Remove from heat, then pour the mixture into an electric mixer and mix over medium speed for 10 minutes. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap. Leave dough to sit at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, shape the dough into small doughnuts and deep-fry till brown.