- 1 kg spareribs, chopped into 4cm pieces
- Grind and combine:
- 5 cloves garlic
- 10 dried chillies, soaked and seeded
- 1 tbsp preserved bean paste (tau cheong)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tbsp sour plum sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Heat oil in a wok and fry ground ingredients until fragrant. Add in spare-ribs and stir-fry well. Cover the wok and cook for four to five minutes.
- Add water and simmer the spare-ribs over very low heat. Cover the wok and cook until the meat on the ribs is tender.
- Add seasoning to taste and continue to simmer until the gravy turns thick. Serve immediately with plain hot rice or some mantou (plain pau).