- 14oz (400g) lean boneless beef
- 2 tsp. rice wine
- 3 cups (750ml ) vegetable oil for deep-frying; uses about 2 1/2 oz (75cml)
- 2 oz (60ml ) clear stock
- 2 tbsp curry oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. cornstarch 9cornflour) dissolved in 1 tsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. hot red chili(chilli) pepper, chopped
- Cut beef into 1-inch square chunks.
- Heat the oil in a wok over low heat to very hot, 350oF (180oC). Deep-fry the beef until it is cooked through. Remove beef, drain, and set aside.
- Pour the oil out of the wok, leaving a thin film on the bottom. Reheat until a haze appears on the oil surface. Add the curry oil, ginger, garlic, onion, chili pepper, rice wine, stock, salt, MSG (optional) and sugar. Stir the cornstarch to blend and add. Add the beef, stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with sesame oil and serve.