An experienced cook of over 50 years, Makcik Salmiah Isa was the private cook for the late Tunku Abdul Rahman. Makcik Salmiah shares with us a repertoire of recipes she has accumulated over the years that has touched many hearts and warmed many bellies!
With great pleasure, we share with you the first recipe – ‘Daging Masak Hitam’ – from a series of 12 featuring our Trusted Brand partner, Salam Sauces.
- Marinade A:
- 6 clove garlic
- 4 red onions, 3 for blending and 1 cut into wedges and kept for final portion
- 1 inch old ginger
- 6 dried chilli, soaked in hot water
- Marinade B:
- 500 beef cubes
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 150ml Salam Kicap Manis
- 5 tsp tamarind juice, diluted with 5 tsp of hot water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- To Cook:
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 lemongrass (serai), crushed slightly
- 1 yellow onion
- cooking oil
- For garnishing
- Mint Leaves
- To marinate overnight: Blend all the ingredients in Marinade A together.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients from Marinade A and Marinade B , cling wrap and leave overnight.
- Pour in marinated ingredients, stir fry to incorporate together and add some water to form some gravy. Cook for a few minutes.
- Turn off heat and transfer all ingredients into a rice cooker.
- Select 'Cook' mode on rice cooker and leave it to stew for 1 - 1.5 hours. (The rice cooker will stop cooking automatically when it detects that there are no more liquid to prevent the dish from scorching.
- Add in remaining onions that are cut in wedges. Turn to 'Cook' mode again for additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off rice cooker, plate and garnish. Serve immediately.