This recipe is best with
- 300g high protein flour
- 1tbsp milk powder
- ¼tsp salt
- 50g castor sugar
- 1 small egg
- 100-120ml water
- 8g instant yeast granules
- 30g butter
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add milk powder, salt and sugar to mix.
- Add egg and stir in just enough water to mix. Add yeast granules, then use a dough hook to combine the ingredients together. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Mix in the butter, then continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and leave the bowl in a warm place in the kitchen to proof until dough doubles in bulk. (This takes 35-40 minutes.)
- Scale down the dough into portions of about 50g each. Shape into small, round balls.
- At this stage, you can wrap in fillings of your own. Shape into balls again and arrange on a baking tray and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave aside to rest or proof until double in size. Glaze with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.