This recipe is best with
- 250gm plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125gm unsalted butter, softened
- 250gm caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175gm good quality dark or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF/Gas 4). Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Mix the butter, sugar, banana, eggs, vanilla extract and chocolate chips in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick, or lightly greased and floured 19 x 11 cm (7 ½ x 4 ½ inch) loaf tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the bread is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve in thick slices with butter. Makes 8 to 10 slices.