This recipe is best with
- 250g high protein flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast or easy blend yeast
- 30g castor sugar
- 30g melted butter
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 150ml warm milk
- Oil for deep-flying
- For coating:
- Cinnamon sugar or
- Castor sugar, mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder for flavouring if desired.
- Put sifted flours and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast and sugar. Pour combined ingredients into flour mixture. Mix well and knead till you get a soft dough.
- Turn out dough on a lightly-floured board. Knead for about five to six minutes until the dough is smooth. Place dough in mixing bowl again, cover with damp tea-towel and leave aside to proof for 60 to 90 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Knead dough on a lightly-floured board for a minute. Roll out dough to 3/4 cm thickness. Stamp out with a doughnut cutter. (You can gather up the pieces of remaining dough, roll it out and stamp again with the cutter.)
- Place the cut out doughnut on grease-proof paper. Cover with greased cling film wrap and leave aside to rise for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and deep-fry doughnuts till they puff up and turn golden brown. Remove and drain doughnuts on absorbent paper; toss them in cinnamon sugar and serve.