This recipe is best with
- 1 French loaf
- 120g butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, pounded
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Slice loaf diagonally at about 1cm intervals but do not cut right through so that the loaf is still joined at the base.
- Combine butter and the rest of the ingredients and mix together. Spread the garlic butter on both sides of the bread slices.
- Wrap buttered loaf in aluminium tin foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 to 15 minutes. Open the foil and heat through for two to three minutes and you will get a crisp crust.
- Serve garlic bread immediately with mushroom soup or a warm stew.