This recipe is best with
- For the sweet dough
- 260 ml cold water
- 1 egg
- 50 gm butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 gm sifted bread flour
- 100 g, castor sugar
- 4 tsp instant yeast
- For the filling
- 150 gm butter - softened
- 100 gm raisin
- For Mexican Cream
- 100 gm sifted cake flour / low-protein flour
- 100 gm butter
- 100 gm castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 tbsp almond flakes (optional)
- Making the Sweet Dough: Put all the ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed above. Set to dough cycle.
- After the end of the cycle put dough in a bowl and punch it down. Divide the dough into small portion of 60 gm each. Roll each portion into a ball. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Note: If you do not have a bread machine you can use an electric mixer with a hook. Knead it for 25 minutes to form a smooth and elastic dough.Put the dough in a bowl, cover it and let it prove for 1 hour. The best place to prove the dough is in the oven without switching it on. Put two cups of hot water in the oven to provide some heat and water vapour.
- After 10 mins lightly flatten each dough ball with the palms your hands. Fill it with butter and raisins and wrap up ensuring that the filling does not leak. Roll into a ball. Put them on a greased baking tray (it is better if you lined the baking tray with baking paper or lined the baking try with aluminum foil).
- Cover it and let it prove for 45 minutes. After the buns have double in size fill a pastry bag with the Mexican cream and squeeze cream onto the surface in spiral pattern. Bake at 180 C for 12-15 minutes.
- Note: The best place to prove the dough is in the oven without switching it on. Put two cups of hot water in the oven to provide some heat and water vapour.
- To make the Mexican Cream: Put all ingredients (except the almond flakes) in a mixing bowl and blend well. Make the cream just before used.
- Tip: From the time the dough is placed inside the oven, the baking time must be monitored in order to avoid burning the buns.
- To prevent further darkening of the buns, the oven heat can be turned off when surface of buns turn golden brown, but do continue to leave the buns inside the oven until the stipulated time.