This recipe is best with
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 100ml lukewarm UHT milk
- 500g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 150ml UHT milk
- 30g butter, melted
- Combine milk and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for five to six minutes for it to ferment and turn frothy.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add salt, sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre. Add in yeasty milk, yoghurt and butter. Mix well. Stir in remaining uht milk and knead well to form a sticky dough. Cover dough with a damp tea towel. Leave aside to rest until it doubles in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and knead on a floured surface for five to six minutes. Divide dough into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion flat to form a round shape. Pull one side out to form a tear-drop shape.
- Preheat oven grill to the hottest setting. Cover baking tray with foil and grease lightly. Put each naan onto the foil and grill for two to three minutes on each side or until puffy and just browned.
- Stack the naan breads one on top of the other. Cover with a dry tea towel to prevent the crusts from drying out.