- 500g rice, wash and drain
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk or yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Spices (A):
- 6 cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 2 stalks lemon grass, smashed
- 2cm piece cinnamon stick
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- Fry in oil till crispy:
- 15 shallots, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- Heat oil or ghee in a wok and fry spices (a) until fragrant. Add rice and stir-fry well for about two to three minutes, then transfer rice into an electric rice cooker.
- Add water, evaporated milk or yoghurt, pandan leaves and salt, then switch on the rice cooker.
- When rice is cooked, dish out to serve with a sprinkling of shallots and garlic.