This recipe is best with
- 375g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 180ml UHT milk
- 125ml water
- Put sifted flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Lightly rub in butter.
- Use a palate knife to stir in milk. Add just enough water to mix until a soft sticky dough is formed.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly-floured tabletop. Quickly but lightly knead dough until it is smooth. Flatten out dough evenly to about 2cm thick. Use a 5cm round cutter to cut out the dough into rounds.
- Place scones in lightly-greased baking pans. Brush scones with a little milk and bake in a preheated oven at 240 ºC for 15 minutes. Serve scones with a jam of your choice.