This recipe is best with
- 175g butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp almond essence
- 225g plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50g toasted, ground almonds
- Whole almonds, for decoration
- Beat butter and sugar until light. Add ingredients (a) and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add sifted flour gradually and mix in toasted ground almonds. Mix well into a dough. Wrap dough with cling film and chill in the refrigerator until the dough is firm enough to be rolled out. (approximately two to three hours; if dough is too soft to handle, add a little more flour.)
- Cut dough into two portions. Roll out one portion between two sheets of parchment paper to about 0.5cm thickness. Cut out with a cookie cutter of any shape.
- Place cut-out dough on ungreased baking trays. Do not put them too close to each other. Bake in preheated oven at 170ºC for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.