Soft bread buns with various fillings are the go-to snack for all occasions. This recipe was first published in Amy Beh’s column, Cook’s Nook.
This recipe is best with
- 6g instant dried yeast
- 1/2tsp caster sugar
- 45ml lukewarm water
- 250g bread (HP) flour, sifted
- 25g milk powder
- 1/2tsp bread softener
- 40g butter
- 25g egg, beaten
- 20g caster sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 65ml lukewarm water
- 12 hot dog or chicken sausages
- Glaze (beat together)
- 1/2 egg, lightly beaten
- 1tbsp UHT milk
- curry powder
- black pepper, freshly ground
- dried parsley flakes
- Combine yeast, sugar and lukewarm water in a small bowl. Stir and set aside to ferment until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Sift together the flour, milk powder and bread softener. Tip into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the bubbly yeast mixture, butter, egg, sugar, salt and lukewarm water.
- Mix on medium speed to form a smooth dough. Cover dough with a damp tea towel to proof for about 30-35 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each piece out flat into a longish shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Place a hot dog or sausage in the middle of the dough. Sprinkle with ground black pepper.
- Make 5 cuts on the dough on each side of the sausage. Fold the left flap to the right and fold the right flap to the left to form a plait.
- Place the plaited bread on a baking tray. Set aside for 30-35 minutes to proof till doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Brush the top with glaze and sprinkle with some combined curry powder and black pepper.
- Add a sprinkling of dried parsley on top. Bake for 13-15 minutes or till lightly golden brown in colour.