The original article was first published in The Star. Click here to read more.
- Garlic dressing:
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tbsp dry parsley or 1 tbsp finely
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Cream cheese filling:
- 100g-120g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk (optional; substitute with honey)
- 6 medium-sized soft round buns
- Mix garlic dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix cream cheese filling ingredients together. Place in a piping bag (alternatively, use a resealable plastic bag).
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Cut 6 slits in each bun (almost to the bottom but without cutting through) to form wedges.
- Pull the wedges apart slightly and liberally spoon garlic dressing over the buns and between the wedges. Alternatively, do like the Korean vendors and submerge the whole bun in the bowl of dressing – you’ll need to start with twice the quantity of the dressing if you want to do it this way, but you’ll end up with a more garlicky bun!
- Cut off the tip of the piping bag (or resealable plastic bag) containing the cream cheese filling and pipe the filling between the wedges. If you’re not piping, simply use a butter knife and spread the filling thickly between the wedges.
- Place buns on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes until the tops of the buns are golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately.