This recipe is best with
- 400g beef, roughly minced
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 eggs
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices tomato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large Swiss brown or button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 soft buns
- To prepare beef patties: Half an hour before cooking, divide the beef into four equal portions and shape into round, 2cm thick patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To cook: Heat a little olive oil in the pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the meat patties and cook on both sides to the preferred doneness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste and remove from pan.
- Pan-fry bacon until edges are crisp. Fry the eggs sunny-side up. Melt a little butter in the frying pan over low heat and fry the mushrooms until browned.
- Pan-fry the tomato slices on both sides until slightly browned.
- Split each bun into halves and place on a hot griddle or frying pan to toast the bread lightly - if you like, butter the bread first.
- To assemble: Place a beef patty on the bottom half of the bread and top with bacon, mushroom, tomato and egg. Cover with the top half of the bread.