To prepare sambal belacan:
- Toast the shrimp paste over an open flame or stir-fry it in a frying pan.
- Pound the chillies with the toasted shrimp paste with a mortar and pestle until the desired consistency.
To cook asam prawns and fish:
- In separate bowls, marinate the prawns and mackerel with tamarind pulp, salt, sugar and dark soy sauce.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat oil in wok or frying pan over medium to low heat.
- Separately, add the prawns or mackerel together with its marinade.
- Fry until dry and aromatic.
- Dish out and set aside.
To wrap nasi lemak:
- Scoop the nasi lemak onto the middle of a piece of banana leaf.
- Add an asam prawn, a piece of asam fish, a tablespoon of sambal belacan and a slice of cucumber.
- Fold banana leaf on both sides and tuck ends in to a form of pyramid-shaped parcel.