Texas barbecue meets Hawaiian luau. The Texas luau burger! This burger rocks (or should I say hulas)! It´s a knockout! Richard Amiel, Santa Cruz, California
This recipe is best with
- 450g ground beef
- 4 regular hamburger buns
- Teriyaki barbecue sauce (1 cup teriyaki sauce mixed with 1 cup barbecue sauce)
- 8 slices thick hickory-smoked bacon
- 4 slices pineapple
- 4 jalapeno peppers, halved, stemmed and seeded
- 4 slices goat cheddar cheese, or other cheddar cheese
- Butterhead lettuce, for garnish (optional)
- Onion slices, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the grill. Gently form ground chuck into four 2cm-thick burger patties; each patty should be about 10cm in diameter. Chill the burgers on a wax paper-lined plate, covered, until ready to grill.
- Grill the buns, cut side-down, until grill marks appear, 30 seconds to a minute. Brush the cut side of the buns with teriyaki barbecue sauce and remove from grill.
- Place the patties, bacon, pineapple slices and jalapenos on the grill, brushing them with teriyaki barbecue sauce. When each is done on one side (timing will vary depending on the item; the burgers will be ready after about five minutes), flip over and continue cooking, brushing the other side with teriyaki barbecue sauce.
- Place a slice of grilled pineapple on top of each patty, while still on the grill. Top each pineapple slice with two slices of jalapeno pepper. Brush with additional teriyaki barbecue sauce. Place a slice of goat cheddar cheese on each patty. Close the grill and continue to cook just until the cheese melts, one to two minutes.
- Serve the burgers in the toasted buns, topped with two slices of crisp bacon, garnishing if desired with lettuce and onion and with additional teriyaki barbecue sauce on the side.