This recipe is best with
- 125g butter dice
- 50g castor sugar
- 1/8 tsp almond essence
- 75g ground almonds
- Sift twice:
- 125g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Preheat oven to 170 ºC.
- Beat butter until smooth and soft. Add sugar and continue to beat until creamy. Add almond and vanilla essence.
- Stir in ground almonds gradually. Add flour and blend well into a dough.
- Take small pieces of dough, roll them lightly into 5cm lengths and form crescent shapes. Place them on the baking sheet and flatten lightly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden or almost yellow in colour but not brown.
- Leave cookies on the baking tray for 10 minutes. While still warm, dip cookies in castor sugar. Keep sugar-coated cookies in airtight jars.