This recipe is best with
- 420g rice, washed and drained
- 600ml water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 thin slices ginger
- 3cm piece cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 tbsp cumin (jintan putih)
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp chicken stock granules
- A handful of raisins, for garnishing
- Heat butter and oil in a saucepan; fry ingredients (A) and (B) until fragrant. Add in water and turmeric powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and seasoning. Cook rice over moderate heat until the water is completely absorbed.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook covered until rice is fluffy. Let stand for 10-15 minutes then scrape with a fork and sprinkle with raisins. This rice is ideal with any curry. It can also be eaten on its own, if so preferred.