This recipe is best with
- Shortcrust Pastry:
- 200g butter
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chilled cold water
- 160g plain flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1½ tbsp corn flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 sweet plums, halved and seeded
- Apricot gel, heated with a little water added
- To make the pastry: Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, salt and water and continue to beat until combined. Stir in flour to mix until a dough is formed. Take out the dough and chill it in the refrigerator for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to fit a tart pan. Trim the edges and leave aside to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking blind, covered with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°c for 20 minutes. Remove and leave aside to cool.
- For the filling, combine almonds, sugar and corn flour together in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and beat with hand-held electric beater.
- Whisk in the egg and add the vanilla essence. Spread the filling over the half-baked crust dough.
- Arrange the plums atop the filling. Brush over with some melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°c for 35 minutes or until the plums turn soft and the filling is golden in colour. Brush apricot gel glaze over the tart.