In the mood for some meat casserole that has a sweet tinge. Try this recipe, combining pumpkin and mutton for that awesome flavour. Simmer well for a mouth-watering dish.
For more casserole recipes, check out Kuali.com’s Casseroles.
This recipe is best with
- 1 kg Pumpkin, cubed
- 50g Butter
- 700g fat mutton, cut in pieces
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 1cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cardamom seeds, pounded
- 2 coriander seeds, pounded
- 150 to 200ml water, or half water and half white wine
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into 5cm cubes.
- Heat butter and brown the meat in the pot with onions, ginger, chilli, garlic, cardamom and coriander seeds. Pour on a little of the water or water and wine, then cover.
- Simmer on very low heat for 90 minutes, shaking from time to time and adding liquid when necessary.
- Add pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks,salt, pepper and a little liquid.
- Cover and simmer slowly, stirring carefully, or shaking from time to time, until the pumpkin is soft and the meat is tender (about 30 minutes). There should be very little liquid, so watch the pot carefully and remove the cover to evaporate excess moisture if necessary.
- Season to taste. Add the lemon juice to the bredie at the end of the cooking.