This recipe is best with
- 150g butter
- 80g castor sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 40g ground almonds
- 50g semolina
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Some castor sugar for dredging the baked cookies
- Cream butter, sugar and essence until creamy. Beat in sifted ingredients, ground almonds, semolina and salt.
- Mix until well combined. Refrigerate mixture for 10-15 minutes if it is too soft.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured tabletop. Use a cookie cutter and stamp out desired shapes or, if preferred, roll out into small balls, the size of small limes.
- Arrange them on a lightly greased tray. Press down the small balls of dough with a fork to create an impression. Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place cookies on wire racks to cool before dredging in extra sugar.