Lao Spicy Minced Chicken Salad or Larb Gai is a spicy and sour cuisine which is bound to blow your minds away. Try this recipe now!
- 300g boneless chicken (coarsely minced)
- 1tbsp ground toasted glutinous rice (recipe follows)
- 2-3 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- ½tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½tbsp grated palm sugar
- 1 fresh long red chilli (finely chopped)
- Small handful fresh mint leaves (roughly torn)
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves (roughly torn)
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken fillet and flatten it into a thin patty. Press down to cook the bottom, but do not let the meat brown too much. Flip the chicken patty over to cook the other side, then gently break up the meat into small chunks. Toss around until chicken is completely cooked. There should be some liquid at the bottom of the pan. If it looks dry, add a little water and bring to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and add ½ the ground toasted glutinous rice. Stir into the liquid. Add shallots.
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar to taste. Add some of the dressing to the chicken with the chilli. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more ground glutinous rice if the dish is too watery.
- Toss in mint and coriander. Serve with plain rice or glutinous rice.
- o make ground toasted glutinous rice, put a handful of glutinous rice into a dry skillet/frying pan and toast over medium heat, tossing constantly, until the grains are golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Pound or grind the rice until fine. Store in an air-tight container and use whenever a thickener is needed.