This recipe is best with
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - add 2 more tbsp, coarsely grated
- 1 cup Mutsu apples or Granny Smith apples - peeled and diced, Crispin
- 1/2 cup pitted dates - chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar - for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a jumbo muffin 6-muffin tin (or a regular 12-muffin tin).
- Whisk together egg, oil, milk and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift flours, baking powder, salt and stir into egg mixture.
- Fold in 1-cup cheese, apples and dates.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbsp cheddar with Turbinado sugar and sprinkle on top of muffins during the last 10 minutes of baking.