This recipe is best with
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250ml UHT milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 55g castor sugar
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 210 ºC. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
- Combine melted butter, milk, eggs and essence in a mixing bowl. Gradually sift in flour and bicarbonate of soda and add in chopped nuts and sugar. Mix evenly. Stir in mashed bananas and mix. (do not overdo the mixing.)
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan to three-quarters full and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove and leave in wire racks to cool. Spread with cream cheese topping, if desired.
- To make the topping: Beat cream cheese with a handheld electric mixer until softened. Add icing sugar and yoghurt and continue to beat until smooth and well combined.