This recipe is best with
- 100g butter, softened
- 90g fine castor sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp orange essence
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- Butter cream
- 100g unsalted butter
- 170g icing sugar, sifted
- Line 15 muffin cups with paper cases and preheat oven to 190°C.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream butter, sugar and essences with an electric hand mixer until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well combined.
- Stir in sifted flour mixture to mix until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into paper cases up to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and the top springs back when pressed lightly. Stand cakes in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut a deep circle on top of each cake and cut each circle in half to make the wings. To make the butter cream: Put butter in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the water and essence. Use a spatula to put some butter cream on to the cake cavity. Position the wings on top then lightly dust with a little icing sugar.