Bake something in a beautiful cookware to be gifted along with the chocolate red wine cake. Wrap the dish in transparent plastic and secure with ribbons or other decorative ornaments.
The bakeware will be treasured long after the last crumbs have disappeared.
This recipe is courtesy of Crystal Chan of Patisserie Rui and was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 125g cake flour
- 1/4tsp mixed spices
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 70g Valhrona Guanaja 70% dark chocolate
- 125g butter
- 120g sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (until the yolk and white are just combined
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 150ml red wine
- 125ml red wine
- 50ml vanilla rum
- 30g sugar
- To prepare batter: Sift flour, spices and cocoa powder together. Chop chocolate into chunks.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar. Add in the eggs gradually. Fold in cinnamon and wine alternately and add chocolate chunks last. Cast into bakeware to be gifted.
- To prepare syrup: In a saucepan, heat the wine, rum, and sugar on low heat to dissolve the sugar; do not boil.
- To bake: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the cake until golden brown and immediately brush cake with syrup. Cool cake in the bakeware before wrapping.