What will Christmas be without a fruit cake? This is a classic fruit cake that can be enjoyed by everyone especially your vegetarian guests.
The Eggless Fruit Cake is is a simple, dense and delicious fruit cake.
This recipe is best with
- 380g mixed fruits
- 150g mixed peel
- 230g almonds, chopped
- 2tsp orange rind
- 1/2tsp lemon rind
- 392g condensed milk, 1 small tin
- 280ml water
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 250g butter
- 300g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- In a bowl, add 3 tbsp of the plain flour to the mixed fruit and peel. Shake well so that flour coats ingredients evenly. Leave aside for about 10 hours (or overnight).
- Melt butter over low fire and cool. Add condensed milk and mix to a smooth texture. Add half of the water and mix.
- Add a little flour and mix before adding orange and lemon rind to avoid curdling. Add rest of the flour and balance of water. Finally, add rest of the ingredients and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Preheat oven 15 mins before baking. Bake for 1 hour 30 mins at moderate temperature of around 180 degrees Celsius.