This recipe is best with
- 400g good quality butter
- 110g castor sugar
- 13 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp pandan juice
- ¼ tsp pandan essence
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3½ tbsp condensed milk
- ¼ tsp green food colouring
- 6 egg whites
- 100g castor sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Grease and line a 20cm square baking pan. Preheat oven at 200°C.
- Cream butter and 110g sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks four at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the final five yolks and beat until well mixed.
- Add pandan juice, essence, coconut milk, condensed milk and stir in colouring to mix.
- Whisk egg whites, 100g sugar and cream of tartar in a clean mixing bowl until the egg whites are just stiff. Fold gently into the pandan batter in batches with a large metal spoon.
- Pour in six tablespoons of the batter into the prepared tin. Level the surface, then bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. After each layer is done use a glass with a broad flat base to lightly press the surface to release any trapped air bubbles. Continue the baking until all the batter is used up.
- Bake the completed cake under the grill at 200°C for an extra 6-7 minutes or until lightly golden on the surface.