There are many versions of this dish and my version is simple. If you are lactose intolerance, then opt for coconut milk instead. It can be made with rice of your choice too.
- 1 cup rice, washed and soaked for about 1/2 hour.
- 2-4 cups UHT milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sugar, sweetness adjust as required
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts, coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- 5-10 cardamoms, crush pods and remove seed and grind or pound to fine powder
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Cook rice as normally in your cooker or you can opt to cook it on the stove except replace water with milk. Add salt to the rice.
- To one cup of rice, add 3 cups of milk and keep the rest for later.
- In the meantime, heat a pan and over very low, fry the cashews till golden brown. Then fry the raisins. Keep aside.
- When rice is cooked, transfer it to a medium-sized pan and add the sugar and the remaining milk and stir till the sugar is completely dissolved. Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Now add the cardamom, rose water and dried ginger powder and stir to infuse the aromatics.
- Add the cashew and raisins and cover the pan. Switch off heat and let pudding stand for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.
- Add hot water or milk for that required consistency. You can serve this hot or cold.