This recipe is best with
- 165g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 110g castor sugar
- 80g butter, diced
- 75ml fresh UHT low fat milk
- 20g plain yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Line a muffin pan with paper cases. Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in sugar to mix. Rub in butter lightly and mix into a crumbly mixture.
- Combine ingredients (A) in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat to a gentle boil. Allow to simmer until sugar is dissolved, at least 2-3 minutes. Remove contents from pan and leave to cool completely.
- Add eggs, yoghurt, milk, and sugared lemon and orange rinds to the crumbly mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is combined. Add poppy seeds.
- Divide mixture evenly between muffin cups, filling each to three-quarters full. Spread a little sugared lemon and orange rind over each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are well risen.