Looking for new ways to add a twist to your usual cupcakes? Here is the recipe for mini lychee sponge cupcake.
- 10 pieces lychees canned, well drained
- 3 tbsp lychee liqueur
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 70 g castor sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 25 g castor sugar
- 40 g canola oil
- 80 g superfine flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- For the frosting:
- 150 g cream well
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp lychee liqueur
- A tinge of pink food colouring
- To infuse lychee, place well-drained lychees on paper towels and pat dry thoroughly, then soak them in lychee liqueur overnight in the refrigerator.
- To use, drain the macerated lychees and drain well again. Keep the liqueur aside for use later.
- Preheat oven at 160°C.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy and add cream of tartar and castor sugar. Beat until stiff, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and castor sugar until light and thick. Beat in canola oil followed by the infused lychee liqueur.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and carefully fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Then, fold egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites and carefully mix until well blended.
- Spoon batter into each paper cup cases and fill up to three quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until well risen. Cool cakes on wire racks.
- For the frosting: Beat cream well, icing sugar and lychee liqueur until light and fluffy. Add a tinge of pink food colouring.
- Pipe a rosette on top of each cupcake and top with a piece of macerated lychee.