This recipe is best with
- 225g digestive biscuits (finely crushed)
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 60g cocoa powder
- 40g gelatine
- 3tbsp water
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 110g sugar
- 400g cream cheese
- 150ml double cream
- 2tbsp UHT milk
- 1 orange (cut into 4 thin slices)
- 60g plain chocolate (well chilled)
- To make the base: Put butter, golden syrup and sifted cocoa powder in a medium-sized saucepan. Heat up gently, stirring occasionally until butter melts.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in crushed biscuits. Mix well. Spread biscuit mixture on the base of a round 22cm-loose-bottom cake tin. Level up and press down lightly.
- To make the filling: Put water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Place the small bowl in a pan of water over a moderate heat and stir until gelatine dissolves.
- Grate the oranges and lemon to get the rind then squeeze out the juice from the fruits. Stir gelatine into the juices and add some cold water to it. It should come up to 280ml.
- Add in sugar and stir well until dissolved. Rub cheese through a fine metal sieve. Mix in grated rind of oranges and lemon. Add in the fruit juice and gelatine mixture.
- Whip up double cream and milk until just thick and add to cheese and gelatine mixture. Pour over the biscuit base. Leave aside to set. Chill well in the refrigerator.
- To decorate cake: Shave chocolate at an angle to form curls. Keep in a cool place. Remove cake from the tin onto a cake board.
- Arrange a pile of chocolate curls in the centre and place orange triangle slices around the edge.
- Cut into 12 neat slices and keep it well chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.