This recipe is best with
- 83g US Russet potato, mashed / hot and no lumps
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g castor sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 135g chocolate - 70% dark chocolate (85g grated, 50g broken into pieces for melting)
- 38g grounded almonds
- 113g self raising flour, sifted with cinnamon
- 5g cinnamon
- 23ml milk
- 65g walnut, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Grease and line a 35cm (9in ) round cake tin.
- Cream the sugar with 113g of the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time until mixture is smooth and creamy.Mix in 85g grated chocolate and the ground almonds.
- Stir the mashed US Russet potatoes into the mixture.
- Fold the sifted flour and cinnamon in with the milk, followed by the chopped walnut.
- Whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff but not dry peaks, fold into the mixture.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tin, smooth over the top, then make a slight hollow in middle to help keep the surface of cake level during baking.
- Bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool slightly in tin then turn out onto cooling rack.
- Make icing by breaking up remaining chocolate into heatproof bowl and stand over pan of hot water or blast in the microwave.
- Add in the remaining of the butter that are cut into small pieces, stir well until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Smooth the icing over the top and allow to set- served with crème fraiche/chantilly cream.