- Steam and peel the US Russet potatoes. Add the salt to the potatoes and start mashing till smooth. The mix should be dry.
- Break the egg; gently stir with a pair of chopsticks using cutting action.
- Add the Kombu and bonito stock, sugar and soy sauce and a little more than half of the mashed potato. Combine all ingredients together and strain to a fine sieve.
- Place fish cake and chopped prawns in a bottom of each cup and pour the mixture over. Don't fill to the brim.
- Steam at high heat for about 12 minutes. To taste if the chawanmushi is cooked insert a bamboo stick into the mixture.
- If a little clear liquid comes out, it is cooked. Steam the whole prawn for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the remaining potato on top and place the whole steam prawn on top.
- Serve immediately with chopped green onion on top and drizzle with truffle oil.
- *For Kombu and Bonito stock: In any Asian/Japanese store can buy Instant Dashi Powder (powder + hot water)
- Dashi is a seafood based stock usually made from Kombu (kelp), Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes), iriko/niboshi (sardine) or a combination of all or two of them.
You may also like