- 1.5kg kampung chicken, keep whole and cleaned
- 30 shallots
- 15 cloves garlic
- 60g rock sugar
- 100ml light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 litre water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a wok and fry shallots and garlic until golden and fragrant. Dish out and put aside.
- Reheat the wok and add rock sugar, stir and cook until sugar is about to dissolve then pour in light soya sauce and fish sauce. Pour in water and bring to a boil.
- Put in the chicken and reduce the heat to medium high. Bathe the chicken with the stock for about 10 minutes. Return the shallots and garlic to the stock.
- Turn the chicken slowly over and cover the wok and simmer the chicken over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the stock, leave to cool. Cut into serving pieces.
- Cook the stock or gravy until it is reduced. Spoon gravy over the chicken pieces.