This recipe is best with
- 2 onions , peeled
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 candlenuts
- 50g dried chillies, soaked in hot water, seeded and drained
- 5-cm (2-in) knob galangal (lengkuas), peeled
- 5-cm (2-in) knob ginger, peeled
- 1(about 1.5 kg /3 lb 4½ oz) chicken, cut into 12 pieces
- 2 tsp turmeric powderv
- 200 ml (6½ fl oz/¾ cup) cooking oil
- 5-cm (2-in) length cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 lemon grass, lightly bruised
- 2 tsbsp tomato paste/ketchup
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz/2/5cup) evaporated milk/coconut cream
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Grind or blend onions, garlic, candlenuts, dried chillies, galangal and ginger. Set aside.
- Season chicken with turmeric powder and salt for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok. Deep-fry chicken pieces until browned and cooked. remove and drain.
- Leave 4 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Sauté cinnamon, cardamom pods and lemon grass. Add ground ingredients and fry until fragrant.
- Add fried chicken, tomato paste/ketchup and evaporated milk/coconut cream. Stir well to coat chicken and simmer until gravy thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- Garnish as desired and serve with Special Tomato rice.