Roast Chicken is a recipe specially provided by an experienced cook of over 50 years. Makcik Salmiah Isa was the private cook for the late Tunku Abdul Rahman. Now, she shares with us a repertoire of recipes she has accumulated over the years that has touched many hearts and warmed many bellies!
With great pleasure, we share with you the ninth recipe – ‘Roast Chicken’ – from a series of 12 featuring our Trusted Brand partner, Salam Sauces.
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4-6 pcs potato (depends on size), cut half
- 1 medium red onions, quartered
- 1-2 pcs carrot, cut in batons
- 1 pack(200g) green beans, cut half & remove the “strings”
- 2 cubes salted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 bottle (300 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Sufficient Salam Kicap Manis Pedas
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- To Marinade Coat the whole chicken with salt & honey, leave it aside to marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 185-degree celsius with a tray of oil for 20 minutes.
- Bring a pot/pan of water to boil and add in 1/2 tsp salt. Toss in carrot batons and simmer for 3-4 mins and remove the carrots. Then add in green beans for 2 min quick blanch & remove from the pot/pan.
- Melt butter in the pan with low heat and saute the carrot & green beans. (add some salt for seasoning if the butter used is unsalted) Remove from pan after 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the tray and rinse the chicken thoroughly with the heated oil.
- Spread out the potatoes & red onions on the tray and drizzle with the heated oil. Then place back into the oven and roast for 40 minutes at 185-degree celsius.
- To make Dipping Sauce Mix flour with water in a bowl. Then add enough of Salam Kicap Manis Pedas until ideal consistency & colour of the sauce is formed (brown colour).
- Heat up the pan with some oil from the roasting tray, then pour in the sauce mixture to cook. Stir until sauce started to thicken.
- Cut the roasted chicken into quarters and place it on a plate with sauteed vegetables & roasted potatoes on the side. Serve with the dipping sauce.