Rotisserie Chicken Soup With Rice recipe from and tested by Susan Selasky for the Free Press Test Kitchen. – Detroit Free Press/McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
This recipe is best with
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 mini red bell peppers, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 can (428ml) fire-roasted tomatoes with chipotle (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- For serving
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced green onion
- Coriander leaves
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the onion and red pepper slices and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, stirring to melt the sugar.
- Add in the tomatoes with their juice, chilli powder and cumin.
- Stir in the chicken and broth. Bring to just a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer about 20 minutes to meld all the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed, keeping in mind you may not need to because of the tomatoes and broth.
- Stir in the cooked rice just before serving.
- Top with chips, cheese, onion and coriander if desired.