- 250g rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 325ml (approximately) boiling water
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- Steam the rice flour for about five minutes, then leave aside to cool completely. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and add boiling water; mix. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture into a dough. (it should be light and not sticky to the touch.)
- Put a little dough into a puttu mayam press or string-hopper mould. Onto a saucer, press out the dough into long strands in a circular motion to form a lacy circle.
- Place the pressed-out circles on lightly greased rattan steamer trays. Steam for 8-10 minutes over rapidly boiling water (place the pandan leaves in the boiling water).
- Cool the puttu mayam before easing out from the rattan tray.