This recipe is best with
- 200g butter
- 120g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1½ tbsp evaporated milk
- 350g plain flour, sifted
- 50g hot chocolate flakes (this can be replaced with cocoa powder)
- 100g hazelnuts
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Toast hazelnuts in preheated oven at 160°C for 6-7 minutes. Remove, leave to cool slightly then remove the skin. Preheat oven to 170°C and grease baking trays.
- Combine evaporated milk with instant coffee granules in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the coffee granules and leave aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, essence and egg yolk until creamy. Add coffee and milk mixture.
- Fold in sifted flour and add hot chocolate flakes to mix into a soft dough. Roll out dough in batches in between two plastic sheets with a rolling pin. Use cookie cutters to stamp out shapes of your choice. Place cookies on prepared baking trays.
- Dip the base of a hazelnut into egg yolk and press lightly onto a cookie. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Leave in the tray for 3-4 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.